Australia is the second largest almond producer in the world with most orchards located along the Murray River in South Australia and other significant operations located in rural Victoria and NSW. Usually generating up to 60,000 tonnes per year, Australia is estimated to produce in excess of 100,000 tonnes of this incredible little nut for 2021 – a new record for the country!
Almond harvest commences in February and usually continues through until April. A short and intense season, the popular Australian annual almond harvest is definitely one to register your interest for now to get the best locations and positions!
Depending on the season, the harvest runs at full capacity for 3-6 months. This is highly intensive and very busy work that offers a great range of roles with excellent pay rates, as well as permanent opportunities for appropriately skilled candidates. Some of the jobs include:
- hand harvesters
- farm hands
- machine operators
- tractor drivers
- loader operators
- forklift operators
- QA officers
- packaging and dispatch staff
- sanitisation crews.
Harvest commences on-farm for 6-8 weeks. Following the farm harvest, almond processing facilities often run on rotational day/night rosters with 12-hour shifts – and generally run 24/7 until the season closes.
Who we need
Successful applicants for this dusty work will be hard workers who are free from allergies and asthma, and physically capable of performing long hours at the almond operations. Flexibility is vital during the almond harvest – the weather can impact almond harvesting, so it’s important to understand your duties can change at short notice.
If you meet the following criteria, we’d love to hear from you:
- physically fit and able to work extended hours and flexible shifts
- able to pass all drug and alcohol tests
- high level of English communication skills
- enjoy a busy environment
- free from asthma and dust allergies
- forklift or other machinery licence (heavy rigid, front-end loader) is highly favourable
- committed to the whole season
- dedicated to keeping yourself and your team members safe.
Why it’s great to work with us
At Agri Labour Australia, we aim to make the employment process seamless for both jobseekers and employers. We pride ourselves on being more than just a recruitment agency, and our consultants are on-hand to deliver expertise, advice and support whenever you need it. Here’s what else you can expect when you join Agri Labour Australia for the almond harvest:
- horticulture award rates, with applicable overtime and penalty rates. Higher hourly rates are offered to returning and highly skilled workers
- connections with more work, as our team provides opportunities to travel with the harvest from New South Wales to Victoria
- watch videos of your work environment to get an insight into your day-to-day tasks
- ongoing support – talk to your recruiter regarding any issues or questions you may have throughout your placement.
Agri Labour Australia is totally committed to ensuring the safety of all our staff, and all successful applicants are required to participate in inductions, training and pre-employment education so they’re equipped with the necessary safety knowledge and appropriate skills prior to starting work. Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing will be carried out prior to harvest and randomly throughout the season.