The 2020 Australian Grain Harvest is one of the biggest events on the country’s agriculture calendar with this year predicted to be a bumper crop!
Grain Harvest is exciting work – set against spectacular Australian outback scenery, where you can enjoy being part of a hard working team and earning a great wage, all while making lifelong memories.
Each year, Grain Harvest jobs are sought after by backpackers, international travellers, grey nomads, students and local residents who are all looking to be a part of this great seasonal work. We advertise a range of Grain Harvest roles that offer fantastic short term job opportunities for any skill set, age group or gender across various locations in Australia.
At Agri Labour Australia, we are extremely proud of the great people and teams we have employed to work in the annual Grain Harvest – many of whom return each year and follow the harvest from start to finish.
When and where is the Australian Grain Harvest?
Weather dependent, Grain Harvest usually begins in September and runs through to January. Grain season starts in Queensland before heading south to New South Wales and Victoria.
Some grain sites will have extended harvests, while others may only go for a few weeks.
2020 Grain Harvest jobs
From grain sampling to driving a front loader and general site duties, Grain Harvest roles are diverse and interesting. You will experience working with a variety of crops including wheat, sorghum, canola, barley and chickpeas. Your role may include the following tasks:
- Grain testing – application of a special vacuum to grade the grain and check for moisture, protein, pollutants
- Weighbridge grain receivals and data entry
- Operating front end loaders, grain hoppers, tractors and augers
- Monitoring grain flow
- Storage and protection of grain including tarp folding, welding and bunker covering
- Sweeping, shovelling, dust blowing and other site cleaning
- Working in confined spaces
What skills do I need to work in the 2020 Grain Harvest?
Grain Harvest workers need to be committed to the season and have a flexible attitude due to weather often impacting on the ability to process grain. Grain Harvest is intensive and hard work so we need people who have energy and can sustain the pace!
Grain sites are dusty, therefore it’s important that grain workers are free from allergies to dust or asthma.
We want to hear from you if you can address the following criteria:
- Able to pass drug and alcohol tests
- Physically fit and able to work long hours with flexible shifts
- Must have your own transport
- High level of English communication skills
- Thrive under pressure
- Strong work ethic
- A great team player
- Previous experience in wheat and grain harvests is highly regarded (not essential)
- Heavy Rigid Truck or higher, and Front-End Loader licences are highly favourable
- Confined Spaces Certificate is a huge plus!
Choose Agri Labour Australia!
At Agri Labour Australia, we aim to make the Grain Harvest employment process easy for both job seeker and employer. We genuinely care about our candidates, their safety and making sure you get the right pay rates and penalties.
We will train you to ensure that you arrive onsite prepared, confident and ready to start your job as a grain harvester! If you have a question or concern, our consultants are always on hand to deliver advice and support when you need it.
Here’s what you can expect when you join Agri Labour Australia for the 2020 Grain Harvest:
- A generous salary starting at $26 per hour, with applicable overtime and penalty rates. Higher hourly rates are offered to returning and highly skilled workers.
- Work with your friends! If you are travelling together and each pass our interview and drug and alcohol tests, we will do our best to ensure you can work and travel together on the Grain Harvest.
- We’ll connect you with more Grain Harvest work – providing you with opportunities to travel with the harvest, moving from central Queensland to Southern Victoria.
- We employ local, travelling and international applicants.
- Watch videos of your work environment, so you can get an insight into your day-to-day tasks.
- We support you. You can talk to your recruiter regarding any issues or questions you may have throughout your placement.
Agri Labour Australia is committed to ensuring the safety of all our staff. COVID-19 is now also included in our training, induction and pre-employment processes.
Drug and alcohol testing will also be carried out prior to you being contracted by Agri Labour Australia and randomly throughout the Grain Harvest season.
Interested? Head over to our Grain Harvest Registration Page. We look forward to your application!