It’s always one of the biggest events on the agri calendar, and the 2021 grain harvest is shaping up to be a record-breaker!
Anyone who’s done a season will tell you there’s never a dull moment at grain harvest time. There’s a buzzing atmosphere, spectacular scenery and the chance to have a laugh with workmates from all walks of life – all while earning good money that’s easy to save when you’re away from the spending temptations of the city.
As usual, we’ve already had a lot of pre-interest in our grain harvest roles and there’s plenty of work to go around. Agri Labour Australia grain harvest jobs are in hot demand from backpackers, grey nomads, students and locals eager for the chance to learn what the backbone of our economy – the agriculture industry – looks like up close. Whatever your age, skill-set, gender or location preference, there’s bound to be a fantastic grain harvest role to suit you. We’ve got a variety of positions available in regional and rural areas across Australia.
Since we were founded over a decade ago, agricultural recruitment has been our specialty and our passion, and we’re extremely proud of the many great people and crews we’ve hired for past grain harvests. Many of these workers have had such a positive experience they return year after year and, having seen the memories that are made and the life-long friendships that are formed, we can’t say we blame them!
When and where does the action happen?
One thing you need to know about the grain harvest is that it’s highly weather dependent. Having said that, things usually kick off in September and finish up in December. The large-scale harvests can last for a couple of months at a time, while others are done and dusted in a few weeks.
What kinds of jobs are available?
The grain harvest in general is a mixed bag that offers something for everyone. From grain sampling to driving a front loader or carrying out general site duties, grain harvest roles are diverse and interesting. You’ll gain experience working with different types of crops too, including wheat, sorghum, canola, barley and chickpeas.
Your role may include:
- Grain testing (operating a special vacuum that grades the grain and checks for moisture, protein and pollutants)
- Weighbridge grain receivables and data entry
- Operating front-end loaders, grain hoppers, tractors and augers
- Monitoring grain flow
- Storage and protection of grain, including tarp folding, welding and bunker covering
- Sweeping, shovelling, dust blowing and other site cleaning
- Working in confined spaces
What experience do I need to qualify?
Commitment is important. Grain harvest workers must be dedicated to the season and have flexible expectations – we can’t stress enough how weather-dependent the grain harvest is. Climatic conditions regularly impact the ability to process grain.
A willingness to work hard is also vital. Grain harvest duties are intensive and full throttle, and those who are energetic and in good health tend to sustain the pace.
If you suffer from asthma or allergies, the grain harvest may not be the best environment for you because grain sites are dusty places.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are willing to undertake drug and alcohol tests
- Are physically fit and able to work long hours on flexible shifts
- Have your own transport
- Can demonstrate English language skills
- Thrive under pressure
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Are a great team player
- Have worked wheat and grain harvests before (highly regarded but not essential)
- Are qualified to drive a Heavy Rigid Truck or higher (front-end loader licences are highly regarded)
- Showing us a Confined Spaces Certificate is also a huge plus!
Why choose Agri Labour Australia?
Our goal is to ensure the grain harvest recruitment process is easy for everyone. We genuinely care about our candidates and their safety, and our team negotiates very hard to get you the best pay rates and penalties in the industry.
As for training, we ensure you arrive on site prepared, confident and ready to hit the ground running. If you have any questions or issues, our friendly consultants are always on hand to deliver advice and support.
Here’s what you can expect when you join Agri Labour Australia for the 2021 Grain Harvest:
- A competitive hourly rate starting at $27.80 ($1.80 up from last year), with applicable overtime and penalty rates. Higher hourly rates are offered to returning and highly skilled workers.
- Work with your friends! If you’re travelling together and get through the recruitment process, we will do our best to ensure you can work and travel together on the grain harvest.
- We’ll connect you with more work.
- We employ local, travelling and international applicants.
- Before you start, you can watch videos of your work environment, so you can get an insight into your day-to-day tasks.
- We support you. You can talk to your recruiter regarding any issues or questions you may have throughout your placement.
Your safety comes before everything else
At Agri Labour Australia, we’re committed to ensuring the safety of all our staff. COVID-19 training is now also included in our induction and pre-employment processes.
*You’ll be required to undertake drug and alcohol testing prior to being contracted by Agri Labour Australia, as well as randomly throughout the grain harvest.
Ready to start your grain harvest adventure?
Click here to apply now – we can’t wait to hear from you!